Tuesday, January 8, 2019

On the Other Hand


I was skiing some pow bumps in the woods with a friend yesterday and as I turned over an innocuous rise, I landed a loaded ski on a rock on the back side.  It tossed me steeply and quickly downhill, on to the back of my head and helmet and I heard a crunch in my neck on another rock as I let out a low groan. I thought 'this is what its like to break your neck'.

I sat there for a bit and my trusty friend Paul came up and asked me if I was OK.  “I’m not sure”, I thought, “I’m too old for this shit”.  I could move my head around gingerly, so my neck wasn’t broken, and It didn’t feel like a concussion, so we sat there for a minute and got it together slowly.  “I’m fine.”

As we skied back to our band of brothers, I felt the stretching soreness down my back and in my chest, into my lungs and heart.  I skied cautiously and conservatively for the rest of the day.  I could not fly.  I could not swoop.  I feel better today after a night of icing and a morning of heat, but a seminal feeling remains in the back of my mind.  “Don’t get cocky kid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment